Mark was inducted into the Coaches Hall of Fame in 2016.
Mark was the Head Boy’s golf coach at CR Kennedy for 16 years. He was also the Head Boy’s coach @ Vinton for 1 year. Mark’s coaching record is 1166-240.
While at Kennedy, Mark guided the Cougars to 12 Golf State Tourney Appearances. Mark’s teams finished second four times, third once, and fourth twice.
Mark coached the Cougars to 11 MVC conference titles (never finished worse than 3rd) and won 9 IHSAA District titles.
Mark served as a member of IHSAA Golf Advisory Committee from 2002-2008. During his tenure on the committee, he:
- Helped to establish the current individual qualifying method including top four scores and ties for the IHSAA State Tournament instead of only the top two.
- Helped to establish the current use of a team’s fifth or sixth score (if necessary) to break team ties in regular season, IHSAA District, and IHSAA State Tournament play.
- Advocated to change the rule not allowing coaches to talk to their players to allowing head golf coaches to coach their team on the course during competition.
- First introduced the recommendation of using range finders during competition for high school players.
- Encouraged the IHSAA to announce State Tournament and District courses earlier in order to allow teams to play practice rounds before the season began.
Mark coached 16 All-State players and led the “Just Drew It” Campaign for Drew Wall…led to the establishment of a $1,000 annual scholarship in Drew’s name for a senior JFK golfer.
Mark married his high school sweetheart, Kathy, on July 22, 1978. They have two children, Matthew, a physician’s assistant who is married and has our three grandchildren living in Vinton, Iowa and Jeffrey, who is single and works for GoDaddy.com in Gilbert, Arizona. We also have our Golden Retriever, Jackson, who is our only child at home.